Thursday, November 21, 2013

fab fashionistas.

I recently had the pleasure of viewing this documentary film on women with style (with an average age of 80!).  My dear friend sent me the link, and immediately, I was hooked.  Not only was it about style, but about life, and living in general.  I'm sharing it here because I found it to be one of the most meaningful pieces on personal style I've seen in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1YI2CKSyo



Some of my favorite women in fashion are older women...I hesitate to even say "older" women, because it's just a made-up category created by a very narrow view of what is culturally acceptable here in this youth obsessed country I live in. For most of my life, I've always felt "older" anyway...so maybe I identify more with these women on a spiritual and personal level.

I think it's very interesting in the video what the Vogue editor says about the magazine being a fantasy/dream world for its readers.  It's for this very reason that I find Vogue/fashion magazines in general EXTREMELY BORING.  I am so thankful for the vast and unique community of fashion bloggers of all shapes, styles, and ages that are out there on the 'Net today.  I hardly ever read magazines for style inspiration any more thanks to this community! I've always more inspired by personal expression, artistry, and street style and less by "Fashion"...it's far more interesting to ME to look at what people are wearing in real life, than at the glossy pages of something manufactured and unattainable.

Photoshop is so commonplace in fashion these days.  Every blemish and flaw can be "fixed" now with post-production. In all honesty, it isn't even really showing actual models...just digital illustrations.  In fact I feel like the whole cosmetic surgery and botox movement is a reaction to try to become one of these digital illustrations in real life.  I'm always surprised by how many people have boob jobs, lipo, botox, and fillers, it's so commonplace these days, just like buying a new blouse or a pair of jeans!



For more on Beatrix Ost, check out Advanced Style's profile http://advancedstyle.blogspot.com/2013/04/beatrix-ost-in.html (This is a great blog to follow for style inspiration and life inspiration in general :)

I know there are already a lot of blogs that deal with this topic, but I just had to write my own take on it.  I was so inspired by how intelligent, vivacious, and active these women are.  In fact they are more fearless and with it than many young people I know personally!


It's so refreshing to see women who are putting themselves out there to battle ageism, sexism, and culturally accepted norms...and doing it with grace, style, uniqueness, and class.

What do you think? I'd love to hear your comments and as always, thanks for reading xxx

1 comment:

  1. What a great post and writing! I do love it. In fact, you say many truths... These women are powerful, I admire them so much! I also like artists who takes risks. Very interesting post ...

    ReplyDelete